Common Web Design Mistakesdesignxpider
This is a crucial element of web design. Of course, a good interface design will grab the users’ attention but users have to read text to be able grasp the information they desire. Some websites use the most bizarre font styles and sizes that make reading a pain.
Lack of page design consistency
When pages belonging to the same website differ too much in design, it confuses users since switching to another section might look like going to an entirely different site. Also, if position of navigation block changes from page to page the site looks disjointed.
To maintain design consistency:
- Use the same color scheme on all pages.
- Make sure vertical and horizontal spacing between the elements is identical on all pages.
- The size of titles from different pages should be the same.
- Don’t change the position of navigation on different pages (unless you are absolutely sure you know what you are doing and it’s justified).
- Stick to the same link formatting.
- Use icons following the same style.
- Maintain form consistency.
Design looks bad on some screen resolutions
This issue has also made it to top 10 web design mistakes and comes in different forms. For example, users with smaller screen resolutions may see horizontal scrolling bar in their browser.
For design to look good on most screens:
- Place the most important sections on top of the page so that users won’t need to scroll to see vital information.
- Check whether text in columns of various size is easy to read.
- Make sure that all the elements stay whether they should be and nothing is misplaced.
Check whether it’s true for various resolutions from 800 x 600 to 1280 x 1024. You can also offer your client adaptive website development so that these web design mistakes won’t bother site visitors.
Navigation within a website should be seamless. Users should be able to find their way around easily. While there is no standard for navigation within a website, especially now as more new web development technologies emerge, it is imperative to understand that navigation must be intuitive and consistent.
- Organize and structure your navigation in tandem with the theme of the website. Personal websites can afford to be more creative yet accessible but a business website requires more efficiency and clarity.
Lack of free space
Information should be provided in a way that leaves enough whitespace between the text blocks. It will help you to:
- Improve readability and overall impression from the text.
- Attract visitor attention to text by wrapping it in whitespaces.
- Create the feeling of elegance and openness.
Complicated Registration Forms
Make your forms as simple as possible. You can always request additional data from users later without annoying them.
People don’t care about the music on your website. Some designers make it worse by putting different background music on every web page.